Why do I have this “thing” for burlap? Eehhh who cares? Its fabulous in that natural and rustic kind of way…. who “doesn’t” have a thing for it? I am seeing it everywhere these days… and why not? Its cheap, its durable and ooohhhh the creative things I have seen lately!! Pillows, wall art, accessories, table runners, even jewelry!
A few weeks ago I ordered 5 coffee sacks from Etsy… not paying attention to the measurements given – I was SHOCKED at their size when they came in! These things are HUGE! Each one measured about 2 1/2 feet by about 4 feet!! Wow! So getting them each for $2.50 was a BARGAIN! I have been staring at them since they arrived- wondering what fabulous’ness I can bestow upon them…
My first project using one of them was a throw pillow. I have several $5 plain black throw pillows that I picked up at a sale somewhere a while back. I have been using them “as is” in my family room – but they pick up a lot of lint and its becoming a pain. Since pillow “inserts” at the craft store start at $7 and go up- I figured this would be a great way to repurpose my black throws into something really amazing and save a little dough doing it! (By the way- you can pick up throw pillows at garage sales, thrift stores & dollar stores all the time- for pretty much nothing. If you get used ones. just give them a good spray with Lysol – you’re going to be covering them anyway – so stains don’t matter. If they are still in pretty good shape (no rips or tears) you can even give them a spin in the washer – but beware of the possibility of the stuffing bunching up. Some will- some won’t.
Okay so here’s what you need;
- Burlap- about a yard for an 18 x 18 pillow – but measure your insert and make sure.
- Needle & NYLON thread – recommend a matching thread to your burlap
- Sewing machine – OR I bet you could even do this with hot glue – but I can’t vouch for how long the seams will last unless your pillow will be purely for decorative purposes. (You decide here- I used a sewing machine for mine)
Steps: (SEE PICS BELOW)
- Measure your insert and cut your burlap about and inch to inch & a 1/2 larger than your shape ( mine was square – so EASY!)
- Put the right sides together and pin 3 sides into place.
- Sew about 1/2 to 3/4 inch around the 3 pinned sides.
- Stuff your insert into the cover
- Fold in the 4th side to create a finished edge – pin – and whip stitch. (All I had was white nylon thread on-hand so you can really see my stitches- but it works out okay for the tutorial)
stroganoff, beef, noodles, egg, Worcestershire, crockpot, crock, slow cooker, dinner, supper, easy, meal, sour cream, brittany todd, fans, discount code, etsy, consolation, prize, featured, shop, aprons, child, apron, toddle, kids, helper, terry, twill, child size apron, small, baby, Discover fabulous, 2raymond, home, decor, accessories, shabby, chic, shadowbox, harker heights, killeen, fort hood, texas, central, missouri, jewelry, chalkboard, tassel, brooch, display, primitive, message, board, pottery barn, restoration, hardware, reclaim, reclaimed, alter, altered, art, craft, handmade, recipe, cook, cooking, bake, baking, friends, retro, simple, old, vintage, adorable, antique, burlap, muslin, glue, fabric, shop, buy, wood, paint, baubles, beads, hostess, wine, box, coasters, tumbled, stone, tile, paper, scrap, scrapbook, create, make, how, to, DIY, hobby lobby, west elm, ross, goodwill, dollar tree, salvation army, military, army, thank you, notes, stationary, cupcakes, supplies, stamp, stamping, ink, unfinished, nail, staple, saw, refinish, stain, tea, towel, kitchen, wall, hang, bathroom, print, prints, canvas, ribbon, trim, blog, online, on, line, story, fashion, old fashioned, time, fabulous, amazing, beautiful, costume, pearls, stones, Paula Raymond, Richard Raymond, Round Rock, Austin, Nolanville, Copperas Cove, house, dinner, supper, table, family, eat, cook, cooking, recipe, oven, degrees, how, dish, cheese, mushroom, salt, pepper, serve, hot, cupcakes, cake, frosting, cream cheese, hearts, valentines day, creations by kara, u create, batter, homemade, yummy, burlap, pillow, throw pillow, sewing machine, sew, repurpose, coffee, coffee sack, honduras, whip stitch