Yesterday morning, as I was checking mail, enjoying my coffee and figuring out the day’s plans…I overheard Rachael Ray on TV talking about this delish-dish. Really all she had to say was MAC-N-CHEESE and I was IN! This was a nice spin on it – with a meat ingredient so it can be served as a main dish! Pair it with some bread & a salad and your family will be singing your praises.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for liberal drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound penne pasta or whole wheat penne
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 3 rounded tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups freshly shredded Pecorino cheese
- 1 head escarole or romaine, shredded
- 1 lemon
Heat grill pan over high heat.
Coat the chicken in EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Grill about 12 minutes, turning occasionally, then set aside.
Bring water in saucepot to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water, add pasta and undercook by 1 minute.
While the pasta cooks, melt 6 tablespoons butter in a separate saucepot. Spoon out 1/2 and toss with the panko to moisten. Combine with 1/2 the grated Pecorino and reserve. To the remaining melted butter, add the garlic and anchovy paste, lots of coarse black pepper, stir 2 minutes then whisk in flour then stock, milk, and Worcestershire, thicken until it coats a spoon, then stir in the remaining half of the grated Pecorino.
Drain the pasta. Halve the chicken breasts lengthwise, then thinly slice and combine with the pasta and sauce, transfer to a casserole and top with the bread crumbs. Cool and store for make-ahead meal.
To reheat: Reheat, covered, in a hot 425°F oven to warm through, then uncover to brown.
Serve with shredded escarole or romaine and dress with lemon juice and EVOO. Serve alongside Chicken Caesar Mac.
- Jennifer Aniston Tells Rachael Ray What She’d Do If She Didn’t Act (popsugar.com)
- Everyday with Rachael Ray or Taste of Home $3.99 (forthemommas.com)
- Weekday Entertaining Recipe – Dandelion and Garlic Pasta (wifandhub.com)
- My mac’n’cheese (saffronandhoney.wordpress.com)
- Recipes for Health: Quick and Easy Pastas (nytimes.com)
- Spaghetti With Walnuts and Anchovies (nytimes.com)
- Roasted Red Onion and Squash Pasta (pbenjay.wordpress.com)
- Long pasta with eggs and pork cheek recipe (telegraph.co.uk)
- It Doesn’t Have To Be Wednesday To Be Prince Spaghetti Day! (chicagonow.com)
mac, noodles, cheese, ceasar, main dish, rachael ray, stroganoff, beef, noodles, egg, Worcestershire, crockpot, crock, slow cooker, dinner, supper, easy, meal, sour cream, brittany todd, fans, discount code, etsy, consolation, prize, featured, shop, aprons, child, apron, toddle, kids, helper, terry, twill, child size apron, small, baby, Discover fabulous, 2raymond, home, decor, accessories, shabby, chic, shadowbox, harker heights, killeen, fort hood, texas, central, missouri, jewelry, chalkboard, tassel, brooch, display, primitive, message, board, pottery barn, restoration, hardware, reclaim, reclaimed, alter, altered, art, craft, handmade, recipe, cook, cooking, bake, baking, friends, retro, simple, old, vintage, adorable, antique, burlap, muslin, glue, fabric, shop, buy, wood, paint, baubles, beads, hostess, wine, box, coasters, tumbled, stone, tile, paper, scrap, scrapbook, create, make, how, to, DIY, hobby lobby, west elm, ross, goodwill, dollar tree, salvation army, military, army, thank you, notes, stationary, cupcakes, supplies, stamp, stamping, ink, unfinished, nail, staple, saw, refinish, stain, tea, towel, kitchen, wall, hang, bathroom, print, prints, canvas, ribbon, trim, blog, online, on, line, story, fashion, old fashioned, time, fabulous, amazing, beautiful, costume, pearls, stones, Paula Raymond, Richard Raymond, Round Rock, Austin, Nolanville, Copperas Cove, house, dinner, supper, table, family, eat, cook, cooking, recipe, oven, degrees, how, dish, cheese, mushroom, salt, pepper, serve, hot, cupcakes, cake, frosting, cream cheese, hearts, valentines day, creations by kara, u create, batter, homemade, yummy,