I don’t know what the weather is like in the rest of the world…but here in Harker Heights, Texas (home to Army base Fort Hood) -where YESTERDAY it was almost 70 degrees… TODAY its snowing and 23 degrees!! You know what they say about Texas weather…if you don’t like it – just wait a minute and it will change! So true.
I was sitting here thinking about what would make this day a little cozier – and what popped into my mind was a warm yummy fabulous CHICKEN POT PIE!! Not the frozen kind (but I suppose that would do in a pinch) – how about a tasty homemade one! Yeah that one sounds good!! Now if I can just talk myself into getting out to the store… “Self, I will make a deal with you….. ”
CHICKEN POT PIE RECIPE:
Fresh and frozen vegetables combine with juicy chicken in a rich broth and buttery sauce for this simple one-dish meal.
- 1-1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (9 inch) pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, combine the chicken meat, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken and let cool. Pour the remaining chicken broth mixture into a measuring cup. Let stand; spoon off fat. Add enough milk to the broth mixture to equal 2-1/2 cups. Cut chicken into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In the same pan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Add the onion and celery. Saute, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in flour until well blended. Gradually stir in broth mixture. Simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and boils. Add the chicken, vegetables, parsley and thyme. Pour mixture into a 1-1/2-quart deep casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Roll out pastry 1 inch larger than the diameter of the casserole dish on a lightly floured surface. Cut slits in the pastry for venting air. Place pastry on top of casserole. Roll edges and cut away extra pastry; flute edges by pinching together. Reroll scraps to cut into decorative designs. Place on top of pastry. Brush pastry with beaten egg and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve.
Servings per Recipe: 4
- calories: 670cal
- total fat: 29.8g
- cholesterol: 183mg
- sodium: 1101mg
- carbohydrates: 48g
- fiber: 6.3g
- protein: 51.7g
- Win a Case of Organic Kosher Chicken Broth (wholefoodsmarket.com)
- A chili three-way for your Super Bowl gathering (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Soup Recipe: Chicken Bone Broth (thekitchn.com)
- Hospital Joint Venture between the Seton Family of Hospitals and LHP Hospital Group, Inc. to Build Seton Medical Center Harker Height (prweb.com)
- 11 Effortless One Pot Meals You Can’t Do Without (blondescribe.wordpress.com)
- UMDNJ to provide help line to assist Fort Hood soldiers, families (nj.com)