Every Christmas morning – we enjoy this yummy french toast casserole! The best part is that you prepare it the night before & it bakes while everyone is opening presents the next morning. Once you make your way through the sea of ripped up wrapping paper… it will be ready! Serves 6-8
- 10 cups bread cubes (cut into about 1-inch cubes, use stale bread but not hard for this- or hard bread like French or Italian)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 3 -4 tablespoons sugar (optional or to taste)
- 8 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat milk
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream (or use all half and half cream)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- powdered sugar
- Chopped pecans
Prep Time: 8 hrs
Total Time: 1/2 day
- Place the bread cubes in a buttered 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl beat the softened cream cheese with sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth and well combined.
- Add in eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Add in milk, half and half cream, maple syrup and vanilla; beat until well combined.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the bread cubes in the baking dish, using a fork or spoon gently lift the cubes so that they coat evenly with the egg mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8-24 hours.
- Next morning set oven to 375°F.
- Remove the dish from the fridge and let sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes – sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Bake uncovered for about 45-50 minutes or until set and a golden brown colour.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with maple more maple syrup.